8 Different Types of Lawn Mushrooms
Having a few mushrooms growing on your lawn is not a bad thing. They break down organic material into nutrients that are beneficial to your lawn. However, some of these mushrooms could pose a danger to your pets and humans living within that environment. Knowing which type of mushrooms are growing on your lawn is therefore critical. Here are eight types of lawn mushrooms that you might encounter:
1. Amanita Phalloides Mushrooms
This types of lawn mushrooms are also known to many as the death cap. As the name suggests, it is one of the deadliest, most poisonous mushrooms in the world. Toxins contained in this mushroom include amatoxins, phallotoxins and virotoxins. The most fatal of these are the amatoxins, which cause a deficit in proteins and consequently, the death of the body cells.
If you accidentally ingest these types of lawn mushrooms, your typical symptoms would include gastrointestinal disorders, jaundice, seizures, coma, and eventually death. It is therefore wise to get rid of any traces of these mushrooms from your lawn.
2. Agaricus Arvensis Mushrooms
Also known as the horse mushroom, this is one of the tastiest mushrooms, and it is especially popular in the UK. It typically first appears during summer all through to the end of autumn. If you decide to gather the edible mushrooms yourself, you should beware of existing toxic lookalikes, for example, the yellow stainer, which can cause severe stomach upsets if ingested.
Reports indicate that Agaricus arvensis contains heavy metals such as copper and cadmium. It is therefore advisable to only treat yourself to this tasty delicacy occasionally to prevent potential health complications.
3. Agrocybe Pediades Mushrooms
Commonly referred to as the common field cap, it looks tiny and often grows on lawns and other grassy areas. Most of these mushrooms have pale caps, especially when young, and as they grow, they get even paler. It thrives during spring and can be found in northern and central Europe, northern America, and sometimes in Britain and Ireland. These types of lawn mushrooms are edible and have no history of toxicity.
4. Bolbitius Vitellinus Mushrooms
Also known as bolbitius titubans, these are tiny colourful mushrooms commonly found in grassy areas, and roadside verges. Often referred to as the egg york fungus due to their yellow cap, this mushroom is widespread in Britain, Ireland, and throughout Europe. It does well, especially on dung or soils that are heavily fertilized. Do not be fooled by its beautiful bright colour since, if ingested by humans or pets, it can cause severe health complications.
5. Calvatia Booniana Mushrooms
Commonly known as the giant western puffball, the mushroom can grow up to 10 to 70 centimetres in diameter, which is pretty big for a mushroom. These mushrooms are typically white and are commonly found in the eastern and western parts of the United States.
If you were to touch these types of lawn mushrooms, the texture feels like that of marshmallows. Although they are generally an edible type of mushroom, the discoloured type of Calvatia booniana may contain toxins; hence, you should be very careful when collecting them. They typically thrive in hot to warm climates, especially during summer and fall seasons. They are commonly found in nutrient-rich grassy places, in open woods, parks and scrubs.
6. Chlorophyllum Molybdites Mushrooms
Also known as a false parasol, greenspored, lepiota, or the vomiter, this is the most commonly consumed of all poisonous mushrooms in North America. Its shape is like that of a hemisphere with a flat top and a diameter of 40 centimetres. Since the mushroom is poisonous, about 1 to 3 hours after consumption, you are likely to experience gastrointestinal disorders, vomiting, and diarrhea. Although severe, there have been no cases of death reported.
7. Amanita Bisporigera Mushrooms
Commonly known as the destroying angel, this is a very poisonous mushroom with enough amatoxins to kill a full-grown adult. It often grows around the roots of trees where it can receive moisture, nutrients and the much-needed protection to thrive.
Typically, it has a smooth white cap with a diameter of 10 centimetres, a height of up to 14 centimetres and a bulb-like sack at the base of the stem. After ingesting, your first symptoms are likely to occur within 6 to 24 hours, followed by an illusion of improvement; then severe symptoms of kidney and liver failure and, eventually, death within the next 4 days.
8. Agaricus Campestris Mushrooms
Also known as the meadow mushroom or the pink bottom, the Agaricus camperstris is an edible species that is a favourite with many people, especially as a sauce or salad. However, you need to be extra careful when gathering these mushrooms as they are often confused with the deadly destroying angel. They are quite perishable with a very short shelf life. They are, therefore, never harvested for commercial purposes. This craved for delicacy grows worldwide, particularly in grassy areas after a rainy season, or even in late summer.
Although extremely rare, it is possible to find some poisonous mushrooms growing in your lawn. You, therefore, need to occasionally consult a lawn care professional to inspect your garden and keep dangerous mushrooms out of it.